Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

October 18, 2011

To My Pro Life, N F P Doctor

Dear Doctor,

Thank you...

for taking me on as a new patient when I was pregnant with my 2nd child.  My husband and I had been using Natural Family Planning for 10 months.
We were new to NFP----the mindset, the openness, the Grace.

It was a scary thing for us, this NFP life.  

That sounds so silly to me now.  

I mean, it seems silly that we’d be scared of growing our family and spacing our babies in accord with God’s plan for marriage.  We have found such peace in this life.  And I know that YOU were a big part of helping that PEACE find its place in our hearts.


Thank you...

for the experience in your office whenever I become pregnant.  The receptionists, the nurses and you are all congratulatory at the news of another baby in our family.  

I never have to answer...

Are you going to keep it?” 

Do you want to know your options?”  



And you call “it” a “baby.” 

Not a “fetus.”  

Those may seem like small things to some, but they were huge to me.  Every time.

Craig and I have not always been met with the most joyous reception of our news from some people closest to us.  It seems odd that the doctor’s office would be a refuge from the disappointment of family...but your office has been that for us at times.


Thank you...

for striving to do what is best for me and for the baby.  You treat us both...and you treat us as one.  

You treat me like I already have a baby (which I do) throughout pregnancy and not just after the baby is born. 


Thank you...

because I have never had to answer the question, “Are we doing a tubal ligation after this baby is born?”  I don’t know if you can know how important it is to me that I NOT be asked that question at such a vulnerable time like right after having a baby.  

With every baby, at the end of the pregnancy, I can’t imagine that I’ll be open to doing it again.  

But every couple of years, I have been back in that spot again and wondered how God opened my heart, but so grateful that He did.  

It’s comforting to know that my weak nature doesn’t have to be strong in the face of temptation. 


Thank you...

for being there as we have transitioned from a family of three, all the way to our current family of seven.  Each time we’ve added a baby, there have been some different concerns.  No pregnancy and no baby are exactly the same and I’ve been happy to experience those differences within your care.


Thank you...

for supporting us in our Natural Family Planning efforts.  You know much about the natural cycle of a woman’s fertility.  I frequently learn new things from you.  We have used different methods over the years.  I have been impressed with your ability and willingness to adapt your care to different methods of NFP.    

**********

I think about writing this letter after every baby is born.  This time, I actually took the time.  

We can credit baby Vincent being such a good baby and going to bed at 8:00 like his siblings even though he is only 3.5 months old.  :) 

Thank you, Doctor.  

God bless you.  


4 comments:

  1. Do you have an NFP-only doctor, or just one who is supportive? I wasn't aware that there was an NFP-only person in the KC area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen - my doctor is NFP only. He will not prescribe birth control or do sterilizations. That's one of the first things they tell you when you call as a new patient, to avoid any awkwardness, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great doctor! I wish we had one like that in our area. So I see a midwife which seems to be the next best thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so wonderful that you have a doctor who is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)