Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

November 1, 2011

The Feast of All Saints

November 1 is the Feast of All Saints in the Catholic Liturgical calendar.  Following are four reasons I look forward to this day every year.

1.  It's a Holy Day of Obligation.  You know, I have always disliked the negative connotation of obligation.  My brother-in-law once told me that growing up at his school, they called them Holy Days of Opportunity.  I like that so much better!  I mean, I'm fine with obedience and obligation and all that.  But doesn't it sound so much more fun to look forward to another opportunity to celebrate the Mass and all that entails, rather than make it into something you HAVE to do?  I'm the kind of person that enjoys that extra opportunity to go to Mass and receive the Holy Eucharist.

2.  The Litany of Saints.  How great is this prayer?  Asking all the Holy men and women who went before us and who are in Heaven with our Heavenly Father right now to intercede on our behalf is one of my favorite things to do.  And you bend the ear of so many Saints in the Litany.  I really love this version set to music with the icons as a visual aid:



3.  Saints are the ultimate role models for us while we are here on Earth.  Saints possessed and lived out the virtues in love for their God and for their fellow man while they walked among us.  I want to be a Saint.  What better way than to have a day every year to remind us how we can be Saints.  Of course, it's better to be reminded every single day.  I am happy that I named my latter three children after Saints.  Every time I say their names, I am reminded that there is a Saint who bears that name.  It reminds me to teach my children, through my words and deeds what it means to be a Saint.

4.  It's the precursor to the next day on the calendar...The Solemnity of All Souls.  More on that later.


2 comments:

  1. I too love the Litany of Saints! It made me very happy to listen to your preferred version and now I need to get back to my blog for the annual posting of my favorite version. :-D

    Happy Feast of All Saints to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Litany of the Saints. It is one of my favorite prayers.

    Happy Feast of All Saints!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)