Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

July 3, 2012

Be Swift -- Be Jubilant -- March On


Mine eyes have seen the glory 
of the coming of the lord, 
He is trampling out the vintage 
where the grapes of wrath are stored, 
He hath loosed his fateful lightning 
of His terrible swift sword, 
His truth is marching on 


Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! 
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on. 


This Sunday, for the first time in what seemed like years, we sang this song to close out Mass.  As the familiar chords and melody introduced the hymn, my heart started to beat a little bit faster and I'm sure recognition sweeped over my face.  I was pleased that this song had been chosen.

I needed to hear and sing this song, especially now as I fear for the future of my famly and my country - no matter how much I tell myself fear is pointless.  My country, the over-arching temperament of the country feels Godless, nay, it feels worse than Godless.  It feels as though the people of this country collectively thumb their noses at God and at those of us trying to live our faith.  It feels as though they want us to defy our faith.  It's not just tolerance they seek but full compliance with their evil.


I have seen Him in the watch fires 
of a hundred circling camps, 
They have builded Him an altar 
in the evening dews and damps, 
I can read his righteous sentence 
in the dim and daring lamps, 
His day is marching on 
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! 
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on. 


Sometimes it is hard to remember that God has already conquered death through His son, Jesus Christ.  We, the Church Militant, are fighting now simply to retain our Freedom to live our faith publicly.  It is so hard to remember that the ultimate battle is already won and now we on Earth move forward to work through our salvation with fear and trembling.


He has sounded forth the trumpet 
that shall never call retreat, 
He is sitting out the hearts of men 
before His judgment seat, 
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! 
Be jubilant, my feet, 
Our God is marching on 


Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! 
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on. 


By the time we reached this last verse on Sunday morning, the tears were already in full force.  The tears were the result of mixed feelings -- sadness at the state of our culture and then joy at the reminder that "Our God IS marching on."  



Oh, be swift, my soul to answer Him!


Be jubilant, my feet!


 

3 comments:

  1. Nice Michelle! I too have to keep reminding myself that Jesus has already won, no matter what else happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has won, and He is not asking us to fix everything and everyone, but only to be faithful. I have to remind myself of that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Hymn always makes me cry also... Thanks for the encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)