Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

August 6, 2012

An Update!

I guess I took an unintended Blog Break!  I'm not sure how regular I'll be here as we steam-roll into school year 2012-13, volleyball and everything else that makes blogging appear to be exactly what it is -- a hobby I do if I have some "spare" time.


But here's an update on the family.


Craig -- We are very excited that Craig will have new days off starting the middle of this month.  He actually gets Friday nights off!  I knew it was too much to hope he'd get any weekend nights off...the Hospitality industry just doesn't work that way.  But, he will have Thursday and Friday off every week!  This is totally awesome, OMG, I just have to SQUEEEEE!!! excellent for our family, I think.  You see...for the last 9 years, Craig's regular schedule has included all weekend nights.  I just accepted it as part and parcel of his job.  So, when they asked for preferences and he asked for Friday as his one day off during the week he'd like to get, I was skeptical he'd get it, but...he did!!  This change effectively gives us about half the weekend together, as a family, each week.  Since Craig won't be working until 3:00 a.m. or even a graveyard shift on Friday nights, he will be up and about and able to help with the humongous amount of running around a Saturday requires for a family like ours (Ballet lesson at 9:00, Guitar lesson at 12:00, volleyball games, potentially Mass, birthday parties, etc. etc. etc.)


And, Craig is also training to run a marathon.  I'm not sure which one he is training to run, but he wants to do it, so I am supportive.  His new schedule should be helpful for his long runs.


Sarah -- Entering 6th grade on the 15th, and her volleyball practices start Wednesday.  I measured her last night after having her stand back-to-back with me and discovering she was to the top of my neck and she is 59 inches!  I am not sure why that shocks me.  I mean, she's 11.  But she has done some serious growing this summer.  I have been tracking all the girls weights and heights every 3 months or so.  July 29 was the last "weigh-in" date and Sarah had gained about 2 pounds in 3 months.  I figured that was about right.  But Saturday I noticed that Sarah looked different in a skirt she has worn all summer to Mass.  And then I was observing her yesterday afternoon and I just thought, "Wow, she looks so different..."  So I asked her to go weigh herself and let me know what it said.  Do you know, that girl gained almost 4 pounds in a week?  So, I'm not sure how much of her height happened this week, but that just blew me away.  


Of course, along with physical changes come the emotional changes.  Sarah really is a good girl.  I fear that I react to that entire age group so much differently than she does.  I find that certain things said (or not said) to Sarah by her peers make me sad/worrisome/angry and she doesn't see it the same way I do.  I'm not sure why that is.  But this is my first trek into teenage-girl world with my daughters, and I'm learning as I go.  I am definitely witnessing the generation gap.  *sigh*


Now that Sarah has her iPod, I realize that I hardly get any pictures of her.  Hmmm.  need to fix that.  But here's one of her with her siblings and some cousins from this summer.
13 of the 18 Poliquin-side kids
Dani -- Entering 3rd grade on the 15th.  She has shot up this summer, too, though I didn't measure her yesterday since she wasn't feeling well.  She seems to feel her physical growing pains a bit more accutely than Sarah.  And, I think we have a little bug moving through the house as each of us has been a little bit "under the weather" recently.  Dani gets to start learning volleyball this year and she is excited about that.  Add that to the huge leap that occurs from 2nd to 3rd grade academically and the next few months will probably be big for her.  Dani is getting better at swimming, too, as she progressed to the sessions where they start working on actual strokes.
Dani with her cousin that's her age from SC
Helen -- Entering 1st grade on the 15th.  Just like the rest of the kids, she's grown, but I haven't checked her height (I think I was just so shocked at Sarah...)  She is a reading fool!  She really enjoyed The Magic Treehouse books this summer.  She wears a skirt every day.  I think it is because they are more comfortable for her.  Most shorts and pants just don't fit her body type too well right now.  She began taking Classical Ballet last Saturday.  She'll have a class every Saturday with other 6-year-olds.  She is very excited about it. She's become a better swimmer all summer with her lessons.  She was all over the pool like a fish last week when we went to hang out with some friends.
Ballerina Helen
Dominic -- Entering preschool next week.  He will get to go three full days a week.  He is very excited about it. His favorite things to play with are his cars -- specifically his Lightning McQueens (he has a few of them...ahem).  He's such a sweet little boy.  One night he came to me with one of the girls' Nintendo DS things and asked me if he could play with it.  I told him to ask Dani (it looked like Dani's).  So I hear him go in the other room and ask Dani (very nicely...with "please" and everything).  I hear Dani tell him that he can play with it.  So as he is walking back toward the room I was in, I hear him say, "Dani, you are too good to me.  Yeah, you are SO too good to me."  :)
Future's So Bright -- He's gotta wear shades
Vincent -- is 13 months!  Oh my.  And he is walking all over the place now.  He still has that funny gait where he kind of flings his feet out as he walks.  Soooo. Cute.  I walked in the door yesterday and he comes at me all feet flinging out with his arms up with the "pick-me-up now" grunts.  Be still my heart.
Found a spot just for him -- haha
My baby boy and me
I will begin a new role at my company this week.  It's exciting and scary all at the same time.  Regardless of how scary it might be...there's nothing to complain about with forward motion.  I will tackle it with the same zeal I tackle other things in my life:  Bring it on!


Have a great week!

  

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new role this week! That's exciting and I'll be praying that it goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the unintended blog break! I'm still reading, but I think I'm coming up on 3 weeks without a post. Sounds like everyone's doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new role! It sounds like a promotion although you are too humble to say so! :-)

    Yay for you and good luck with the start of school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your new position is going really well for you! Enjoy those Friday's with your husband... my husband also used to work every weekend, before he became a high school teacher, he was in restaurant management, so we understand what it is like, the late nights and weekends... It is not easy! Hopefully you have a good babysitter and can plan a "date night" soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful picture of you and Vincent. I hope everything at your new position is going great! The start of a new school year is an exciting time, but as a teacher...I can't wait to get momentum with kiddos getting used to routine. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)