Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

January 22, 2013

The Deafening Silence

It has been 40 years since the landmark Supreme Court decision, Roe v. Wade, made abortion legal in this country. 

 I turn 40 years old later this year.

Ever since I was old enough to make the correlation that my birthday was the same year as the year abortion became legal in this country, it has stuck with me.  My mother could have aborted me.

I am a member of Generation X...a generation cut in half from previous generations because of legalized and widespread use of contraception and because of legalized abortion.  My generation can never make a difference like the Baby Boomers.  We are too small, therefore we are ignored.  We are silent, because half of us are missing.

We live in a world where science has confirmed that something new with its own DNA is created at the moment of conception, yet we lack the conviction to stand up for these human beings and allow them to be born. We live in a society where more and more people believe it is wrong to kill an unborn child, but no one wants to tell anyone else what to do.  We live in a world where someone who shoots and kills a pregnant woman and the baby she carries can be convicted for two homicides, yet we ensure the right of a woman to enlist the services of an abortionist to terminate an unborn human being with no consequence.  We live in a country where we are told a woman must have this choice and we bill it as a choice, but the reality is that the women who show up for an abortion usually claim that they have no choice. 

I often wonder what a full-fledged Generation X could have done in this country when we never had the chance. What friends might I have made, given the opportunity? Sadly, many people of my generation are missing siblings.  I know the option was given to my mother on a couple of different occasions with my younger siblings...thank God she did not go that route. How different would the landscape be if we were all here?

Many studies about Gen X discuss how we are the most let-down generation in history...and it all started with the fact that so many of our parents aborted us. 

Obviously, Generation Y and all the generations subsequent to mine can claim the same.  There have been 50,000,000 children slaughtered in this country in the one place that should be the safest for them -- their mother's womb.  Lord have mercy.

Today, I will pray for the millions of children who never get a chance to live.  Most Holy Innocents, pray for us.  Most Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.  Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

 

3 comments:

  1. Will also be 40 later this year ~ and also have often wondered how this decision effected our generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if anyone has considered that some of the economic problems we have (especially the problem with social security) would have been alleviated by having the rest of your generation (and mine) in the work force?

    May God help us end this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so eerie. It is so true though. Imagine how different things could be if one thing had not happened... 40 years ago today.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)