February 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes - 42




--- 1 ---
Did you miss my pouty post about my Jayhawks? For further evidence of my spoiled brat mentality, I direct you here:  



--- 2 ---
I went bowling with Sarah and a few friends of hers last night.  I used to bowl in a league with my husband many years ago.  As I was bowling, I realized I miss it.  Ah, who am I kidding?  I miss the ability to regularly participate in any games/sports anymore.  I used to be in volleyball leagues, too with tournaments regularly throughout the winter/spring.  Maybe that is where my Funk stems from?  I used to have all sorts of social/sports outlets that I just don't have anymore...hmmm, food for thought.

--- 3 ---
My Vincent has developed a bad habit.  He wakes up around 12:30 or 1:00 a.m. And he ends up in my bed for the rest of the night.  I know I coddle this habit by bringing him in the bed, but I'm so darn tired, I'm at a loss for what I can do about it now.  He thrashes around and claims the bed as his own, which doesn't necessarily mean I get the best sleep.  I guess I should start hanging with him on the couch and get him back in his bed...

Any of the other kids, I'd have let them "cry it out" a bit until they figured stuff out.  But Vincent is so loud he will wake the neighborhood!  And he knows by now that he need only be really loud really quick and I come running to fetch him.   *sigh*
 
--- 4 ---
Sarah has another volleyball tournament this weekend!  I'm so excited to watch and see how they do.  She's improved so much in the past 4 months or so.  She now serves overhand and is one of the more consistent servers on her team.  She is also one of the more reliable at moving her feet and getting to the balls in the back row, which makes me very happy.  :) 
--- 5 ---
I had conferences yesterday for the girls.  I'm pleased with the report.  And the conferences don't take so long when there are no major issues to discuss.  While Sarah has a few B's, all of her averages are in the 90% range (Her school's grading scale is pretty typical for Catholic school -- 94-100 = A).  She is working hard and seems to have figured out what she needs to do in 6th grade as far as studying goes.  Dani is doing well also.  She is working very hard to do neat and correct work.  (The neatness thing -- always a struggle!!) She, too, has all her averages in the 90% range, but does not yet have all A's, but I know she's working on it.  Helen doesn't get letter grades yet, but I was pleased to see she reads a grade and a half above her level!  She does a good job on her weekly book reports to use main statements to describe the book she reads.  Her handwriting could use some improvement (ha!)
--- 6 ---
Whoa, I am 16 weeks pregnant today!  yowsers!  I don't go back to the doctor until a week from Monday and I haven't felt consistent movement yet.  When I spent Monday cleaning bathrooms and such, I felt a bit of movement from the little one, but other than that, not much.  I know it will come, but I'm getting anxious to feel all those kicks!!  I guess I need to start the paperwork for my maternity leave.  I decided I would take just 10 weeks this time and save my PTO time for days I need off for other stuff through the year.  But being 16 weeks means I'm that much closer to my ultrasound.  I probably will get to schedule it after my next appointment.  Yay, I can't wait!!
--- 7---
Oh and I got up some nerve this week.  After reading Jennifer Fulwiler's post at National Catholic Register, Those Catholic Women Who Use Contraception, I asked our Respect Life committee through e-mail (because I wasn't going to make the meeting) about having our Humanae Vitae Mass on Sunday instead of just on the anniversary of Humanae Vitae.

Here were my reasons:
  • July 25 is a Thursday this year – people have a hard time coming to a extra Mass on evenings during the summer – especially if they don’t understand why it’s unique (It’s not like we have the advantage of everyone knowing about the Feast of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel or anything)
  • The audience we attract in middle of the week is the “already on board” crowd.  It’s good for us to hear no matter how we can (which is why so many of us sacrifice to get there in the middle of the week in the middle of the summer), but I, for one, would rather make sure the message was spreading, not just there to pat us on the back
  • USCCB already promotes through an established “NFP Awareness Week” that week that we could “kick off” with a particular Sunday Mass or with all of the Sunday Masses (I’m not that picky…I’d be happy with just one of the Sunday Masses, but would be ecstatic if all of them “kicked” it off)

I closed off with, "Doing the Mass on the anniversary of Humanae Vitae is great…but very few lay people, in general, have an inkling of what it is, let alone why it’s important."


Photo Credit
I got a positive response from two members of the committee and then late last night a positive response from our pastor.  Mainly he wanted to ensure moving the Mass to the Sunday didn't interfere with the established Liturgical calendar and he'd research that.  Since I mentioned the USCCB and NFP Awareness week in one of my reasons, perhaps we will be in the clear!?!  I'll keep you posted!!


Have a fabulous weekend and be sure to visit Jen at Conversion Diary for more 7 Quick Takes!  

 

6 comments:

Joy said...

No suggestions for your midnight visitor but congrats to the girls for their excellent school work. Good luck to Sarah this weekend!

Katie@NFP and Me said...

Oh the Jayhawks.

I am so impressed with your gumption and your priest. Every time I asked about NFP at my parish my priest informs me someone else is taking care of it and then NOTHING happens! I need to get more ballsy this year! :)

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

I enjoy bowling, too!

Congrats to your girls!

KJL said...

My little one keeps waking up in the middle of the night too. And now, it's almost convenient because I have to get up to pee about that time anyway, so I kill two birds with one stone! ha! Anyway, I am afraid of her sleeping in our bed, because I'm worried she'll never stop, so I always take her back to her bed, no matter what. But I tell ya what, it can be grueling some nights!

When you have your ultrasound, are you going to announce...or keep it secret? I'm so so curious!!

CatholicMom said...

I remember your posts last year about your humanae vite Mass.. So glad for you to get a positive reception. Think if you can influence just ONE person... it will be so worth all the effort. I will remember to keep this intention in mind w/ my rosary! And good luck with the ultra sound!!!

Catholic Mutt said...

I'm glad you're looking at moving the Mass to Sunday if possible. I read that post of Jen's and it's really good food for thought, isn't it?