Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

May 19, 2013

Running

One of the things about running is it gives me lots of time to think.

And sometimes I think about...

Running.

I wondered, what is it that makes me get out of bed at ungodly hours in the morning to make sure I get a run in? I wondered, what is it that makes my stomach churn when I think about getting out for a run. Honestly, I think the ungodly hours bit keeps me from thinking myself out of runs...I just get up, get dressed, brush my teeth and go. It's when I lounge around on a Sunday morning and have time to contemplate what I'm about to do that gets me all messed up.

I didn't grow up loving running. I was a swimmer. I rode my 10-speed bike to and from my 2-a-day practices in the summer. I liked biking and swimming. Honestly, I think I liked swimming because it got me out of the house on a regular basis -- didn't like being at home much growing up. But, if running was ever in the cards for practice, I was not game. I hated the idea. Thankfully it was only one or two practices a summer they'd have us run a mile or two before morning workout.

After swimming, there was basketball and volleyball. for those two sports, running was a means to an end. I ran faster dribbling a basketball "coast to coast" than I did any other time in my life. I could play basketball for hours without needing a rest and my favorite way to play was fast-paced up and down the floor. Volleyball didn't require distance, just footwork and speed and agility. I didn't mind that much either. Sure, we ran 12 laps around the court for warm up, but that was the extent of it.

When I went to college, I rowed on the Crew at Washburn University in Topeka, KS. I had strong legs and athletic build and found another sport I was good at. Again, running was a part of our spring break workouts (we'd run to the river for our warm-up -- about 2.4 miles or so), but hardly the main part of our workouts. 

I didn't start running until about a year after Sarah was born. I had gone on a doctor-supervised quick weight loss program and lost 65 pounds and knew I needed to do something to keep it off. It's hard to get pool time around here, so regular swimming was out, so I grabbed some running shoes and off I went.

I will say something for those early days -- I attributed my ability to stick with it to the fact I weighed lighter than I had in probably 10-12 years. It helps when running if you don't have a lot of extra weight, I still believe that. But over the years, I gained weight (with pregnancies and other things) and I still kept running. As a matter of fact, I was about 20 pounds heavier in 2007 (when Helen was 15 months old) when I ran my marathon. In hindsight, I wished I had eaten better leading up to the marathon so I could have been about 10 pounds lighter, but I still finished that marathon. The summer after that I went on to train specifically to run a half-marathon in sub-2hours. And in October 2007, I ran the Kansas City half marathon in 1:54. I ran another one 4 months later (in Houston) in 1:56.

But when I think back, I remember how I still kind of dreaded my runs. I think that's just part of running. Knowing how much better I will feel AFTERWARDS helps me get out there to do it even though I really don't want to.

I don't run any distance with ease very often. Sure, there's the odd time when I feel like I'm killing it out there and could run and run forever. But those really only come along every once in awhile.

PhotoCredit

I think that's why I keep running though.

I continue to get up at ungodly hours on weekdays, and I keep getting out there on a Sunday when I don't really feel like it because there's the chance.

There is that CHANCE that this next run is going to IT. 

MAYBE this next run I will feel like I am going to fly out of my shoes and I will feel like I can run 2 extra miles just because I can't bear the thought of stopping.


 

4 comments:

  1. I did my second day of C25K on Friday... and by golly it seemed a FRACTION of a bit easier!!! Miracles do happen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very inspiring! Just what I needed to get motivated to start getting up at ungodly hours and get my run in! Thanks and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All you runners! I would really like to start doing more running, and you are definitely giving me a push. I know that feeling, though, when you're working out that suddenly you're kicking the workout's butt instead of vice versa. It's a great feeling. And even if I am the one getting my butt kicked, afterwards is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and running, we have a love/hate thing going on. For some, it's love/hate on a daily basis meaning they hate the notion of doing it but love the feeling afterward, every single time they do it. For me, it goes in spurts of months, or even years. I will absolutely love it for months on end and get in really good shape and then, suddenly, I hate it for months at a time. And I will hate it every single time I attempt it for those months.

    I get giddy inside though, when I hear others are running. I've been doing it so long that I always feel it's "my" sport and when others join and feel its power, I feel validated somehow. :)

    Keep up the good work, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)