Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

September 27, 2013

7 Quick Takes - 63



Thanks to Jennifer Fulwiler for hosting!

--- 1 ---

I really dislike the fact that one of our paid-for cars was totaled due to the accident we were in last week. I really dislike waiting to find out what the settlement will be. And, buying another vehicle wasn't on my list of things I would have chosen to do at this point in my life. But shit happens and therefore, no matter the circumstances, I must move forward. USAA called Tuesday with the amount of settlement and I was pleasantly surprised with the amount. Of course, part of me wonders if it's part of "the system" to give you a large enough settlement that you are tempted to buy a brand new car and use the company to finance it as well. But...since I am ALL ABOUT NOT HAVING A CAR PAYMENT if I can help it...I hit up craigslist to see what was available. We are going to look at a new-to-us vehicle this weekend and if it is all the ad and current owner say it is, we will probably buy it outright. You'll have to check back next week to get the deets. :)

--- 2 ---

I will say, I was considering changing our auto insurance company before this accident. I had obtained quotes from a few other places. But, the way this has all been handled has helped me to remember that you do get what you pay for. And, I'm no longer ready to get out of dodge when it comes to car insurance. Maybe this will change as time passes, but...I've been with USAA for 17 years, the rates I was quoted were competitive (no USAA was not the lowest rate...but they weren't outrageously higher either), but when an insurance company seems to step it up really well when an accident happens...it definitely keeps that balance in the "Happy/Good Service" account at a healthy level. (No...I am not getting paid to plug USAA.)


--- 3 ---

Recovery is going well. I still have a bit of pain here and there, but I didn't take any pain medicine Thursday (first day for that) and only noticed late into the evening that I had some discomfort. I would say that's a win. I have a 2-week follow-up next week, then a 6-week after that. Craig's been awesome as ever, taking care of me. Work has been very understanding about my need to take it easy this week. The kids have even been fairly kind, considering they are not accustomed to putting on their really good behavior just for mom. :)
--- 4 ---

Nothing humbles you like your kids repeating things you say in proper context. Wednesday, Dominic wasn't feeling too well. He had a 101 degree fever and a cough. He also sounded a little congested. Sitting right next to me, after a cough, he says, "This coughing is pissing me off."

<embarrassed blush> Hmmm, wonder where he learned that. </embarrassed blush>


--- 5 ---
For once it was my employer putting on the cool party! My work had an Annual Family event last Saturday and we all went. I was moving pretty slow, but the kids had a blast. Everyone got some facepaint! (Well, Vincent's didn't go on his face...)
Four Painted Faces!
A Fire Truck!!
--- 6 ---

Sarah's class made it through "The Giver" (Lois Lowry) this week. The final assignment was to write the final chapter of the book. Sarah's chapter was excellent. I know, she's my kid, so I would say that...but I really was impressed with the direction she took the characters. Maybe I have a budding novelist on my hands. :)

They have moved on to the second book of the Quartet ("Gathering Blue"). I might have just finished reading the first two six chapters. I think I'll be done with that book before the weekend is out. I definitely recommend reading the books along with your kids. I am having a lot of fun with this! Molly wrote about this earlier this week, too

--- 7 ---

Some other notable events this week:
  • Dani helped cantor (lead the singing) at the all-school Mass this week! I didn't know she was going to do it in enough time to arrange to head into work late, though. I saw a couple of her classmates last night and they said to "Tell Dani she did a really good job singing at Mass." It makes me happy that she enjoys serving in that way.
  • Sarah's volleyball team lost a heart-breaker last night. They were on the wrong end of a 23-point cap. Boo. But they played hard. One thing about volleyball (and I think it's true at any level) is that sometimes a team gets into a bad rotation and they just can't get out of it in time to save the game. It's fun watching Sarah play, though.
  • It was picture day this week and I curled Miss Helen's blonde locks. But her hair has gotten long enough that it's hard to get that curl to stay! I need to invest in mousse and hairspray I guess.
  • Dominic read a step 2 reader to me with minimal assistance. I mean, he stumbled on words like ambition and determined. But, wow, that kid is coming right along with his reading. Now if we could strengthen his hands a bit and get the writing thing going!
  • Vincent slept at the nap mat at daycare this week! He went right to sleep, no playing around. I guess it's time to get those bunk beds put together and move him on into a bed. *sniff* (not really...but...well, kinda-sorta).

Have a great weekend and be sure to go check out Conversion Diary for more 7 Quick Takes Posts!

 

4 comments:

  1. I will vouch for USAA too. My husband got in an bad accident w/ a new vehicle. They fixed it, but the claims person from USAA came to the repair shop/collision shop every couple of days to check on it's progress & it was not allowed to leave, until he had fully inspected it. We have different insurance for our business & it does not compare at all to the USAA service!! (i'm not getting paid for my comments either )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on USAA - they're slightly more expensive than the bargain insurance, but we've never had anything but wonderful encounters with their customer service!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love USAA.. they have been there for us through *everything* - the best insurance. I'm sorry about the car totaling. (And is this ridiculous? But I think I love you for dropping the S bomb in your blog post.) Thanks for keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear you were in an accident! I'm glad you made it through in one piece! Rest up and relax. What cute pictures of your gang with face paint. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)