Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

October 15, 2013

Miscarriage and Infant Loss Awareness Day

Today is Miscarriage and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.

In years past, this day would come and go and I would see the posts on facebook or I would read blogs and try to understand. But, today, I understand far more than I ever wanted. I've caught myself a few times over the past few days remembering moments here and there that cause me a moment of grief. 

I recently held a baby that couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 weeks old. She was so precious, and the tears came, though not heavily. I see pictures of my nephew who is now 6 months old and I wistfully think of my baby boy in Heaven and say a little prayer.
The loss of a child through miscarriage and/or stillbirth is often a silent and invisible grief. It had only been 3 months and I already had extended family asking my husband if I was getting counseling and if I was okay because I still cried at Mass. In our day and age of "get over it" many times, those who have not been through such a thing don't understand the pain involved and wonder just why a mother cries in grief months after the loss. In this society where babies are seen as something to be desired only when everything is perfect, many don't understand why a woman grieves the loss of a child from miscarriage when clearly, "that's nature's Mercy for an imperfect child."

What I have lived for the last 7 months, I would never wish on anyone. I'm grateful for my faith that helps me understand that Gregory is with God and I pray I will see him when, God-willing, I begin new life in Heaven after my earthly death. But that doesn't take away the sadness and the longing I have for the baby that didn't join us here on Earth.

If you think about it today, say a prayer for a bereaved mother.


5 comments:

  1. Thinking of you today!! Praying for you & your DH! We are going to a 1st Candle event tonight. We will be sure to light a candle for Gregory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you a lot today. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending hugs from the 1st Candle vigil. I was strong & met some wonderful ladies tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this with us. You were in my prayers today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for bravely and humbly sharing this. You are a light to those suffering in the same darkened tunnel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)