Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

February 28, 2014

Gregory - A Year Now Has Passed

A year ago today I found out Gregory had died and went into the hospital that evening. I delivered Gregory into the arms of Jesus on March 1, 2013. Of course, his soul was already there from about 10 days before that, but the physical delivery is what happened a year ago.

A day never passes that I don't think about him and miss him. At least once an hour, I would imagine, I think of him. Losing him has shown me just how much I think about all of my children...it's a constant...and he's no different.

In the days following Gregory's funeral, Rebecca, my dear friend over at The Road Home and Gregory's godmother , sent me the following video from Mercy Me. I actually waited almost a week to watch it, but I was glad I did. It did make me cry then and it does now, too, but in a good way.



I stumbled upon this song by Daughtry a little later. It was so perfect and even now, feels that way still. I always imagine a little mini-Craig running around -- because most of my kids look like their dad as babies. But the words of this song are so true, "Not a day goes by, that I don't think of you, (Gregory)."




And this song, is for my "Precious Child."




It is now 5:00 and last year I was finalizing arrangements for the kids and making our way to the hospital. I had spent 5 hours coming to grips with the fact that I had carried my son 10 days further than his life had extended. And the sadness; it was overwhelming. And that heavy heart hung around for another 5-6 months.

But then, I finally felt able to breathe again. I remember it distinctly...about a week into August, I could finally breathe a full, deep breath and not feel like it might be my last. My youngest sister announced her pregnancy with her first child in October and I was shocked to realize it was the first time I was truly happy at the news of someone else having a baby. I was so grateful that God filled my heart again for someone else.

This afternoon, a package came in the mail. Of course, Rebecca and her husband were so very thoughtful and sent us a beautiful creation that could be hung from the chandelier in our dining room. Here are two pictures:


Aquamarine is the March birth stone


I'm glad there is a chandelier in this house :)

Craig and I spent some time at the cemetery today. You know, it would have been easy to pass on the Memorial marker. It was an added cost, and how often will we have time to go up there? But...I'm really glad we got it and that it was placed before the anniversary of his birth/death. We need it there. We need to have that place to go. It was good to visit there today and I know it won't be the last time we go there.


The Memorial Marker where Gregory was laid

I have received such an out-pouring of love and support from blog-readers, friends and family over the past year. I appreciate more than anyone can know that I was allowed to grieve openly. It's such a hard thing, I think, to grieve a child who never was able to be born, but it's important to acknowledge that person and everything he was and is to the parents and family. At this time, I am filled with gratitude at the empathy and understanding I have experienced from so many in the last 12 months: our priest, our parish and school community, our family and friends. Even our children here on Earth with us -- who had to watch their mother cry for much of the last year, were such a great support for me. And the counseling I received through my therapist was helpful and how could I forget my awesome doctor and his staff? They hadn't seen me since March 8 when I walked in there in November and they were so tender and caring with me and asked how I was doing.

2013 was a rough year and I experienced loss on a whole new level. But I was able to process it and get through it all (with amazing support) in a healthy way. I feel ready to tackle the future and know that I will never forget my baby.






5 comments:

  1. We love you all. We pray for you every day. We are forever blessed to be Gregory 's godparents. Little Gregory, pray for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your precious Gregory with us. I still remember where I was when I read about your news and was so very sad and heart broken for you. Little Gregory, pray for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words cannot express the sorrow I feel for you, and the bittersweet happiness that the clouds of sadness have lifted a little this past year. Please let me know if you ever want to hang out and just talk. I am always here for you... I hope you know that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been able to find the "right" words for 2 days, but know I've been thinking of you & your little Gregory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. May this year's lent fill you with peace and joy. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. God Bless you and your beautiful family. (And Happy Birthday Helen... My Lauren and Your Helen will be receiving First Holy Communion at the same time... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)