Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

June 18, 2014

Weight Watchers Wednesday (20) - What I Left Behind

Today I want to discuss the weight loss programs I left behind. You know, I started (and quit) Weight Watchers many many times before this last time. months after babies were born, I'd shamefully make my way in for my first weigh-in, just horrified at how much weight I'd put on during pregnancy. I would then lose 10% of my body weight and I'd think I could keep doing it on my own. I couldn't.

Today, I want to tell you about all the times I started another weight loss plan that was not Weight Watchers. Because as many times as I started Weight Watchers, there were other times I started another plan. One of those quick weight loss plans. Yes, one of those plans that advertises that you can lose 3-5 pounds per week without exercising!! One time, the quick weight loss plan worked for me. It cost me a boat-load of money, but I stuck to it and I lost 60 pounds in 3 months. I mean, I ate maybe 900 calories a day and I didn't exercise (other than playing volleyball a couple times a week) until I hit the goal weight. I gained about 15 of it back in short order, but managed to maintain the other 45 pound loss until the next pregnancy. Because that program worked so well -- even though it was buckoo expensive!! -- I went back after I had that next baby and was successful again. I didn't get all the way down to my goal, but I got back to where I was pre-pregnancy, took up my running activity again, and maintained until the next pregnancy.

When I had my third baby (my sweet Helen), I was actually successful breastfeeding her for awhile, so I couldn't take all the pills and supplements required with that program. That was one of the times I went to Weight Watchers. Once I weaned Helen, I went back on the quick weight loss diet, trying to figure out how I could purchase the products online to avoid the hassle of checking in three times a week at a weight loss center. I found a website here and there that carried the same products under a different name. I'd lose 15 pounds, gain 10, lose 10, gain 5, up and down up and down over and over.

After each of my pregnancies with the boys, I went back and tried this program again (in between attempts at Weight Watchers). I shelled out money for products. As you can see from this picture...they sure were put to good use (not).

This is a picture of all the products that sat in my cupboard the whole time I've been doing the Weight Watchers program this last round. I kept all this stuff because a) it is expensive and b) it was my fall-back -- if I was struggling with Weight Watchers I planned to use the pills to "jump-start" things if necessary.

Well, I never needed any of this. 


Vitamins, Pills, protein supplements


Closer view of all the pills...

When I had failed so many times with Weight Watchers, and then had one time been so successful with this expensive quick weight loss program, I thought that my body just couldn't lose weight without the help of pills and supplements. What really happened was I didn't follow the plan. Or I would for a little bit, but then I would relapse into my old ways. I loved eating pasta and cake and I didn't like to limit my portions. My schedule was hectic, working outside the home full-time and opposite my husband, there was no time for a regular exercise schedule. So, I would go and give these quick weight loss people a lot of money and take their pills and supplements and see some short term success...which would hold me over until the next time.

I was about 5 pounds away from goal when I started thinking about all that stuff in the cupboard. What would I do with it? Most of it is expired anyway, since I bought it in the months after I had Vincent (most of it expires in 2 years). And then I thought, "Wow. I've lost all this weight this time and not put one pill in my mouth." (I won't lie, the bars and drinks actually taste good sometimes and the drinks are 2 points plus on Weight Watchers and the bars vary from 3-5 points plus -- so on occasion, when I didn't have another healthy option for a snack, I have had them.) But I didn't have to take "metabolizers" -- I just increased my activity and my metabolism increased on its own. I didn't have to take "neuroslim" because I learned how to pay attention to my body and feed myself on queue with healthy options. I didn't need to take "essential fatty acids" in pill form because I ate a regular and healthy dose of olive oil and real butter to get my fat intake. I stopped taking multivitamins in pill form when my doctor showed me an article about how it's more effective to eat a balanced, healthy diet because our bodies don't absorb the vitamins in pill form all that well anyway.

Two weeks after I lost Gregory, I weighed 208 pounds. I last officially weighed in at 157 pounds. I lost 50 pounds without resorting to pills and supplements. I worked out, learned about tracking my food, and made healthy lifestyle changes.


This Happened
BTW -- ^^that picture? ^^that dress? Well, I took that picture Saturday. I wore that dress Saturday. The last time I wore that dress was to my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary in 2004. Actually, when I bought that dress, i was a size 16. I had it altered one of the times I lost all my weight down to a size 6/7. It was snug, but not too snug that I couldn't wear it. And I was ecstatic.



I wrote this because I know there are lots of people out there who have tried weight watchers a gazillion times and have done the quick weight loss programs on and off. I know I'm not the only one.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finally figured out that healthy lifestyle choices are the way to go. But if there's one thing I hope this post can do, I hope I can convince someone who is about to shell out $2000 for a quick weight loss program (including products) that they really can do it without taking pills. I thought I couldn't. But I could.

Maybe you think you can't.

But you can.






3 comments:

  1. Love your post! I totally agree that Weight Watchers is the way to go, especially the Simple Start/Simply Filling program. It teaches healthy foods and habits that you can follow for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, you look great! Funny you mention the multivitamins. I've been recently thinking that maybe I should start taking them again. Sounds like I should just save my money.

    I've not really been overweight until I hit my 40's and became more sedentary. I lost 25 lbs. by reducing calories. Sensibly, not starving myself. But I've gained some of it back mostly by being lazy. I've never tried WW so maybe I'll look into it.

    Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)