Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

October 10, 2014

7 Quick Takes - 91 (The Happy Things Edition)





Thank you to Jennifer Fulwiler for hosting the 7QT. It's been a good week in these parts, so I have decided to make all 7 of these about things that make me happy.


--- 1 ---
Craig has a new job. And with this new job comes weekends off! Holy cow, I can't believe it. He's worked weekends for as long as I can remember. Other than his short stint as a Stay-At-Home-Dad...and even then, he performed at Comedy City back then, so he still had commitments on the weekend. This morning, before he left for work (because right now -- he's also working DAY SHIFT!!), he came in and gave me a hug and said, "Guess what?! It really IS Friday!" Because his "Friday" has been Wednesday for the past couple of years. So, today, I get to anticipate a weekend where neither of us has to go in to work! Yippee!


 
--- 2 ---
This song makes me happy:


--- 3 ---

Wednesday afternoon, I returned home from work to a very smiley and happy Helen. She handed me the test packet (they group the previous week's quizzes/tests together for parental review/signature) and started flipping through. The first thing I saw was a score of A on the top sheet. She giggles and then she flips that page and the next things I see is a score of A on the next thing. She proceeds to giggle and tell me, "And look at this one..." all the way through showing me quiz and test after quiz and test with nothing less than an A-. And I was more and more excited with each turn of the page. She stopped before she flipped to the final quiz (it was the math quiz) and says, "And this one....you just HAVE to see this one" and she had the biggest most heartwarming grin on her face and her cheeks were so full from how far her smile stretched. She slowly flipped the page over to reveal that she earned an A+ on the previous week's math quiz! Holy Moly! I dropped the papers and put my hands in the air and shouted, "We are gonna have a PAR-TAY!!!" And she just giggled and giggled and grinned. It was, quite honestly, the highlight of my week. (And that's saying a lot because I was pretty happy all week!)

Oh, and Helen having fun with her friends makes me happy, too :)

--- 4 ---
So more about this new job. Craig is working day shift until November, when they will add a shift and it's most likely he will go back to working nights. Of course, we've done nights for years and so it will be an adjustment back to that. BUT! He still has weekends off (unless they schedule overtime, which they will I would imagine, from time to time).

You guys -- the weekends off -- it's awesome.

oh and if he does work overtime? Well -- they will have to PAY HIM OVERTIME! (unlike the previous employer -- he worked lots and lots of overtime and did not get paid for it there)

--- 5 ---
CrossFit -- as you undoubtedly know -- makes me happy. This week, I ran my 1/2-mile in 3:19. Quite honestly, I don't think I ran it that fast when I was 14 and ran it regularly in track. That was a nice boost to my Wednesday.
 
--- 6 ---
The Royals are in the ALCS!! Wow! Just last week, I was saying how they won that crazy Wild Card game and were in the ALDS and I was hoping they'd win that. Well, they SWEPT the team with the best record in baseball. How crazy is that?!?

So, tonight they begin the ALCS with the Baltimore Orioles -- another team, that admittedly, has had quite a drought of playoff games. But, I just can't help getting all giddy for these boys in blue and think that they HAVE to win this series and go on to the World Series. I was so excited Sunday night watching them win. It was so great!

Good luck Royals! #BeRoyalKC #TakeTheCrown #RoyalOctober #ALCS


 
--- 7 ---
Reading also makes me happy. Right now I am re-reading the Hunger Games books as I prepare for the release of Mockingjay Pt 1 on November 21. Sarah and I will be attending -- with a couple of her friends and their moms (if the moms want to come).

Speaking of movies (I guess I wasn't, but whatever) I went to see Gone Girl last week! I read that book over the summer and remember what a disturbing story it was. That is the first book I have ever read where I really dug the storyline (i.e., I was riveted) but I could not find one redeeming character in the whole book. They were all a bunch of schmucks!! I just didn't like anyone! Usually, if I like a book that much, it is because I like a character. The movie was good. I had read ahead of time that Gillian Flynn wrote the screen adaptation, so I was hopeful it would stay pretty true to the book -- and it did.

Ya gotta wonder, however, just how some people come up with such demented subject matter!


OK! Bonus take! Vincent is attending his first friend birthday party today. This is such a fun thing, for some reason. But a girl he plays with at daycare is having a pool party and invited Vincent. He is very excited! So much cuteness.
 

Be sure to go visit Jen Fulwiler, who today was unable to write a post, but is STILL hosting the linkup at Conversion Diary! Go meet some other great bloggers!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. What a great week! It sounds like the new job should be a very good thing. I'm happy to hear it! And way to go, Helen! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)