Endless Strength Header

 photo blogheader-2.jpg

November 3, 2014

Monday Mumbles - 78 (CrossFit Competition Edition)

Happy 9th-to-last Monday of 2014. (Why do I like counting down Mondays?)

Let's mumble, shall we?

1. First CrossFit competition ever this weekend is in the books. It went all right. The hard part about doing things for the first time is not really knowing what to expect. The things I will make sure I do better next time:
  • Buy/Wear clothes that fit properly. I haven't updated my workout wardrobe very much in the last year...it showed -- fortunately not too much -- but adjusting my clothing while trying to complete burpees or transitioning from jump rope to sit-ups was not that much fun.
  • Drink more water. I didn't get dehydrated, but I don't think I was in the best shape where water intake was concerned.
  • Try to farm out my kids to friends' houses if I can. My kids do an awful lot to pitch in and help me out on a regular basis -- I'd like for a day I am competing to be fun for them instead of a drag. They just aren't into this CrossFit thing like I am (yet).
  • Stick with Paleo regimen for the whole month leading up to it. I fell off the wagon when the gym's "30-day challenge" ended at the beginning of October and never really got back on it before this competition. My body processes food more efficiently eating that way and I really do notice a huge difference.
2. That being said, I had a good time and I think I did pretty well for my first competition. I ranked 15th out of 28 women in the scaled division. My ranks in the workouts broke down like this:
  • WOD 1: 9th -- this WOD played to my strengths as Deadlift is one of my better lifts and the weights were good for high reps
  • WOD 2: 23rd -- this WOD was one of my weakest lifts -- Snatch. But, I did PR (80#) but it was only a power snatch. I need to keep working on sticking a Snatch in the squat position. Dang 41-year-old hips and knees!
  • WOD 3: 16th -- I completed this WOD last for the day and I felt wiped out. I thought afterwards that maybe if I hadn't eaten my meal about 60 minutes before, I might have been better, but I don't know. It was a paleo meal, so the food wasn't the problem, but maybe the timing of eating it? It was a WOD that was 3 rounds of 400m run-30 single jump-rope jumps, 20 ab-mat situps and 10 shoulder-to-overhead presses. By the third time I headed out for 400m run, I was over it. It helped me push to get through that last round, but I know I didn't run the way I typically do (but, of course, my pants were falling down, too). However, I think 16th is probably about right for that performance.
  • WOD 4: 12th -- this WOD was one where you picked up 80 pounds (two plates that totaled that) ran down to a sled-type thing, loaded the weight and then pushed it to the finish line. I did it in 27 seconds (well slightly more than 27 seconds). I liked that WOD a lot, but it was over so quickly!
  • The way the competition score seems to work is to add up your ranks in each WOD and that is your score. You want a low score. My total points were 60. It seems like if you want to be in the running to win a competition, it's good to win at least one of the WODs and/or be in the top 10 for most of them. (The competitor in me takes note of such things.)
3. My kids were great. I wish I would have taken a picture of them being good. I had Dani, Dominic and Helen with me. Sarah stayed at home with Vincent since he'd been fighting off a cold most of last week. Dani got up from her perch to come watch a couple of the WODs, but on the last one, she informed me she was just gonna wait in the chair. ha.

4. When we got home, I was wiped out. I couldn't really rest that much, though. I guess my body needed to calm down a bit from the day. I have also noticed this phenomenon when I have run half marathons or even when I did my triathlon. You'd think you could take a nap...but you really can't.

5. Oh and during that last WOD, I thought more than once that I was never doing a competition again. I'm sure that feeling will pass and I'll do another one. I'm too competitive not to.

6. I was HUNGRY Saturday night, too. Now, I typically can put some steak away. I am a meat-loving fool. But I even surprised myself with the amount of steak and crab legs I ate Saturday night. Yes, I stopped at the grocery store and picked out a couple of bacon wrapped filets, a ribeye and a pound of Alaskan Snow Crab Legs. I didn't eat all of it Saturday night...but a pretty good portion.

7. I was so wiped out, that I forgot to set our clocks back Saturday night before I went to bed. Doh! So, Craig and I got up and got ready to go to 8:00 a.m. Mass Sunday  morning and were just discussing getting the kids up when Craig looked at his phone and saw it was only 6:00 a.m. and not 7:00 a.m. I just went and ate breakfast. I guess that's a positive.

8. Helen and I had a little afternoon date yesterday. It was fun. She's so sweet.

Mommy-Helen Selfie
9. I am clearing out our storage room so that we can then clear out and clean the other side of our garage in the hopes we will buy a new car soon and have a place to house it. I went through one box in the storage room that had this "love note" from my Sarah. It is probably about three or four years old.

I miss Sarah's love-notes

10. We have a busy week ahead. We spent about 10 minutes before dinner yesterday going over how it's all going to go down. Lots of driving for me, lots of kids getting their homework done efficiently and being ready to go when it is time.

So, deep breath. Here we go.

Have a great week!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I enjoy reading other perspectives, please feel free to share yours. :)